HOW TO CHOOSE A HYDROPONIC, AQUAPONIC, ALGAPONIC, AQUARIUM, POND OR FOUNTAIN PUMP
- “Maximum Flow Rate” is meaningless because it is at ZERO lift.
- “Maximum Head/Lift” is meaningless because the flow at that height is only a trickle.
You need to choose an affordable quality pump that produces the “desired flow at your required lift” at the lowest wattage.
Step 1: Determining Desired Flow Rate
Hydroponic Systems – typically flow through a single loop allowing a single pump and need a flow rate near 100 GPH for each grow bed loop up to 120 feet. Flood/drain beds – need 2 to 4 cycles per hour. Fish tanks – need a least one exchange per hour or extra oxygenation. Waterfalls – need 100 GPH for each inch of width.
Step 2: Calculating System Lift
Measure the “vertical distance” from the “top” of the water in the pump tank to the pump discharge point.
Step 3: Pump Selection Considerations
- Continuous instead of intermittent pump duty cycle greatly increases pump life, plus no need for a timer or level control.<br - Low cost (<$60) pumps in the 3 to 60 watt pump range are typically submersible.
- A rule of thumb is that an average pump will last 2-4 times the stated warranty period.
- Best to buy a backup pump if fish or plants depend on the pump.
Step 4: Is A Foam Filter Needed?
A foam filter is not usually needed to protect the pump and the screen cover is enough. If your model has a foam filter and it clogs too fast, best to remove the filter.
- If the screen clogs too fast… get a separate pre-filter, vortex filter or settling tank.
- Micro-algae will not hurt a pump unless it stops water flow.
- Most people buy our filter pumps for the longer 16 foot cord and discard the foam filter.
- PonicsPumps Sells 8 pump sizes. Click on “PonicPumps” below the main page title to see them all.
- FLOW RATES: 291 Gallons Per Hour (GPH) @ 0′ Lift; 271 GPH @ 1′ Lift; 251 GPH @ 2′ Lift; 218 GPH @ 3′ Lift; 172 GPH @ 4′ Lift; 120 GPH @ 5′ Lift; 26 GPH @ 6′ Lift; Max Lift – 6′ 3″.
- DIMENSIONS: 3.50″ x 2.80″ x 3.27″.
- 5 FOOT QUALITY CORD: Many pump manufacturers use an inferior quality cord, our highest quality (SJTW) Electric Cord is waterproof, 18# gauge copper wire, molded plug with ground, heavy duty flexible vinyl jacket, resists oil/grease/moisture, abrasion resistant and very good flexibility at all temperatures.
- EPOXY RESIN ENCASEMENT of key internal motor components prevents unwanted conductivity and corrosion of metal parts.
- NEODYMIUM IRON BORON (NdFeB) MAGNETS are used in all our electric motors because they are the most powerful permanent magnetic materials commercially available and increase energy efficiency.
- EASY CLEAN: No tools required to disassemble and clean filter/impeller.
- WATER-LUBRICATED HYDROGENATED NITRILE (HNBR) BEARINGS are used because they possess a very low coefficient of friction, have inherent vibration-dampening qualities and are non-polluting.
- 16 WATTS – 120VAC – 60Hz
- 3 OUTLET ADAPTORS : For 1/2″, 5/8″ and 3/4″ tubing.
- SALT OR FRESH WATER READY!
- ADJUSTABLE INPUT FLOW RATE
- OIL FREE, NO EXPOSED COPPER Safe for fish!
- POLISHED ALUMINUM OXIDE CERAMIC IMPELLER SHAFT insures long pump life. This non-corrodible ceramic shaft is 3 times as hard as stainless steel.
- NO SEAL TO FAIL! Uses wet-rotor design, so no seal to fail that would damage the pump motor.
- LIMITED WARRANTY: 1 Year, only when sold by NicheNOVA.